Making each day a little sweeter

God will give you more than you can handle: I guarantee it.

There’s a certain phrase I’ve come to really dislike.

All my life, I’ve heard this phrase whenever I go through a rough patch. *And by rough patch, I mean a prickly, gnarly patch that leaves me bleeding to near death*. You’re probably familiar with those kinds of “patches”.

“God will never give you more than you can handle” is the phrase I’m referring to.

more than to bear

And it’s a sweet sentiment, really. The people who say it are speaking from caring and concerned hearts.

BUT–it isn’t true.

I know that sounds harsh, but I promise I haven’t suddenly lost my mind or have become an angry-with-God bitter woman who hates the world. Actually, when I realized the simple fact that God can–and will–give us more than we can possibly bear, it got easier.

And it all started to make more sense.

I’ve often trudged through trials that overwhelm me. Ever since my childhood there have been trials that have made me “grow up” pretty fast. But granted, I know for a fact you’ve had your own fair share too, because that’s the reality of life. But this last trial is the one that shook me to my core and had me searching like a mad woman for answers as to why it was happening–and how I could possibly even survive it.

DSC_3283

I lost my Dad to cancer last month–if you’re a follower of mine, this is old news. But–it was absolutely horrific.

Every day leading up to his death was like walking through every level of hell–slowly– for lack of a better term. There’s no other way to describe it. The images…the sounds…the sleepless nights…the cries for God while we look on, helpless…the torment of rubbing morphine in his cheeks, praying it’ll absorb–but to no avail. The horrible, wrenching pain that came with lifting him up, laying him back down, lifting him up, laying him back down…because he became so restless and cried out for “home” every few minutes. And all along, in the back of my mind, I reminded myself that millions of people go through this, and have already gone through this, very thing. And it is simply unbearable. If you disagree–it’s because you haven’t been there.

SONY DSC

This trial was so consuming that I hate to even put it in the past tense–sometimes it still consumes me. Yesterday, at my Dad’s memorial service, it consumed me all over again.

I’ve suffered from nightmares where I relived the memory over and over mercilessly–I sometimes see his face on strangers that pass and worry that I’m going crazy. I cry over sad songs in the car and torture myself with stacks of pictures and yellowed photo albums. It’s beyond just missing him. And even with a firm testimony of the gospel and with peace that he is exactly where the Lord prepared him for, it is still too much for me to handle at times. It steals my breath–and it can steal my joy.

crying2

So, the other day, I turned to the scriptures. I needed help.

I wanted to know where that phrase was that people kept repeating to me in church and at work and over the phone. Why did the Lord “trust me so much”?! Why did He think I could handle these kinds of trials?

And then I realized: I couldn’t find that quote because it isn’t there.

It never mentions anywhere in the scriptures that the Lord won’t give you more than you can handle. Yes, in 1 Corinthians 10:13 it speaks of Him giving us an escape from temptations so that it’s not too much to bear. But when it comes to pain, trials, heartache, and burdens– not once does it say it won’t be more than we can bear. Instead, it beautifully says this instead:

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me…for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matt. 11: 28-30)

carrying man

The words struck my heart, as you can imagine. Christ is speaking to those of us who are carrying burdens much too heavy for our own shoulders. And in that one verse he simply states the reason why we are given more than we can handle: It’s so we can come to him. It’s so we can trust him enough to hand over our heavy, crippling burdens and let him carry the load.

You might be heavy laden right now like I was before reading and re-reading and re-reading once again this scripture that has never stuck out to me as much as it has lately.

trsut

You might be shrunken with sadness or drowning in debt. You might be overwhelmingly angry at someone at church or aching under the pressures of raising children or maybe the inability to have them. You might be dealing with a terminal disease and you still have young children. And chances are–you might need your Redeemer to find you on the path and take up that heavy cross you’re dragging. Besides, even he tells us that he’s more equipped to carry it, so why not hand it over?

I’ve come to learn–slowly but surely–why I need Him.

I suppose it’s because of pride that I always thought I could just do things on my own. I’m strong, I’d say. I’m a tough cookie. I can help others through their tribulations while carrying mine all by myself. Well…wasn’t I wrong.

at jesus feet

I didn’t really know what needing him meant until I had no other choice. I didn’t know what it meant until I wrapped my arms around my middle so I wouldn’t fall apart–or the time I choked on tears and yelled toward Heaven. Or the times when I was utterly alone, and the silence was too much to bear. Those are the times that taught me he’s not just a want or a convenient symbol of love or a reason to do good deeds.

No, he’s the very air we breathe.

And he’s the only one who can make it bearable when life is simply anything but.

About these ads

1,526 Responses to “God will give you more than you can handle: I guarantee it.”

• Diane M Waltman

I was sexually, mentally, emotionally and verbally abused by my grandfather as far back as I can remember. He did many terrible things, some of which are too distasteful for me to talk about publicly. I want to share my testimony, because so many people have been hurt, and they need to realize that someone has made it through their struggles so they can have hope. More than anything, I want you to know and really understand that anyone who has been abused can fully recover if they will give their life completely to the Lord…It may seem impossible, but God’s truth has set me free from a life of pretense and lies and has restored my soul. I am living proof that nothing is too hard for God. No matter what you’ve been through or how bad you’ve been hurt, there is hope!
      My book is available at Amazon and I would love for each person who has liked this page to order a copy. Each copy sold will go toward the prevention of child abuse across the country and world. The Little Girl Inside. God Bless, Diane Waltman

• Pete Sanchez

I am really sorry for what you’ve been thru and further more I THINK NO ONE SHOULD GO THRU THAT HORRIFIC EVENT YOU WENT THRU!!! I on the other hand I can’t seem to understand why does GOD give’s more to people who really don’t believe in him or religion or might I even add faith but yet forth I believe that he DIED on the cross to save our sins and my life really is NOTHING BUT A SHAMBLE..WHY I ASK AND ASK AND I AM PROBABLY GOING TO DIE ASKING!!!

• Gen Peterson Abrams

I have said this for a while now, whenever someone says “I know God won’t give me more than I can handle” – I say, “Oh, I think He will. He will give you more so that you will draw closer to Him”. Yes, temptation and trials are not the same thing, and this misquoted scripture from 1 Corinthians is not correct.
      I have been in that place you are describing, amidst the suffering and the inconsolable pain. My husband and I lost both of our dads within a month of each other, both had been suffering for a long time and we both were the primary family member in their lives. It was a long, hard few years. Without turning those burdens over to my Lord and Savior, I am not sure where we would be at this point.
      Excellent post. Thank you.

1. Amanda

Been there and thought t he same thing! If He didn’t allow things so big to come on us that we couldn’t handle why would we need Him. LOVE the Lord for seeing me through!

2. Kim

reality is that God will put more on us than we can bear. And the reason why He does this is to Prove His Presence. So the statement “He won’t” really is a statement of faith in God that although I’m going through I know God will bring me through. Oh boy my soul getting happy (excuse me), we can qualify this with scripture when the 3 Hebrew Boys were threatened by king Nebuchadnezzar in so many words they were saying “God won’t put more on us that we can bear” . And you know the end of that story. So tell your group to go on and shout right now because the “bearing” is not in their strength but the strength of the One who Promised to be a burdened dearer. Amen

3. Terry

I just went thru this. 2 months from diagnosis to death. I watched, cleaned, dosed my mom. . But I couldn’t fix her. I can’t fix myself. ..HE CAN! This was right on time. . Thank you.

4. lauraingallsgunn

Almost two years ago I wrote a similar post entitled “When God Gives Us More Than We Can Handle”. Even in the midst of horrendous pain I somehow was able to write
    “I believe that at times we experience situations that are beyond what we as humans can possibly handle. Every single one of us will face certain situations in life that may seem impossible.

Hopefully it will bring us to our knees.

Because, it is when we realize that we can’t do it without God we experience the real victory.”

Two years later and our family is still struggling but there is light. Praise be to God, gloriously good light.

Hang in there. I’ll be praying for you.

5. newangel2

Yesssssss! Thank you. I’ve been thinking of this lately too. We need His help and we can’t do it alone. I’m so sorry you lost your dad in such a painful way.

The other one in our culture that drives me a little nutsy is pictures of Jesus w/ the caption “I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.” I bet there are people searching the scriptures for that one too :) Sometimes my husband jokingly “quotes” Jesus saying, “I never promised you a rose garden.”

6. Susan

Amen! So sorry for your loss! You are looking to the right One to carry you through!

7. Jade

God has defiantly put a lot on me and my loved ones this past year. I am taking care of my husband after a major cancer surgery, my Dad after a massive heart attack , my Mom with her on sickness, and many other issues personally. God has surely brought me to it all and I know there is a reason. I have totally turned it over to Him….trusting Him…..and doing what I can do with Gods help! I admit….it was time I needed to be brought to my knees, face it all the way God wants me to face it. I have done so! I have seen his miracles recently……my husband had a rare kidney cancer and the surgery required was life threatening , he could have died with a snap of a finger. Not only did he live thru the surgery…… There is no more cancer!! 14 out of 14 lymph nodes clear. All this adversity has been good for me and I thank God for it every day. I needed him to remind me who is in charge! And to trust Him always!

8. Cresley Walkr

Experience has taught me that when we kneel before him, we will be eternally grateful to the author of our deliverance from suffering in a world governed by entropy. The author of our salvation: Jesus Christ.

9. Flo

Thank you. I know what you are saying is spot on and I know that. I have depended on the Lord for everything since losing my husband in December but I’ve never once asked Him to help me with my grief. I need to remember that He can help me with this too.

10. When Times Get Tough | The Rice of Life

[…] loss, its been everywhere. In the depths of her despair, my sister-in-law wrote a post about how God will give you more than you can handle, and it went viral. It’s actually a very uplifting article, because it highlights God’s […]

11. Kathleen Bobango

Thank you. I’ve felt hurt by those words, as well….however well meaning. God doesn’t expect us to bear rape, loss of a child, loss of a parent or any loved one, rape of our child, Cancer or any other painful disease, betrayal, drug addiction of a loved one, and so on…He expects us to be overwhelmed and turn to Him to ease the burden.

12. mamallamaletters

My ex recently took my son. I’ve raised him since he was 10 months old. Even after his Dad and I split up, he went back and forth between houses. I had never gone more than a couple days without talking to my son. Tomorrow it will have been a month since I’ve had any contact with my baby boy. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read this blog post in the last month. It’s provided me a great deal of comfort. I can’t thank you enough.

13. Kendra Frazier

Thank you for writing this! I agree! I was just telling someone this very thing two days ago….she too (the lady I explained this to) recently lost her father and is going through so much more right now. Good to know the truth is getting out and spreading around!

14. Jane

God has helped me get through a rough phase. I came to realize that God gave me a burden so that I can trust him enough. After learning and rebuilding my relationship with him he has shown me overwhelming grace and blessings. Every obstacle I hand it over to him and trust him to lead me to right decision that is best for me.

15. Nina

Thank you for sharing this! I believe most people mix up this idea that God won’t give us more than we can handle with the truth from the scriptures that God won’t allow us TO BE TEMPTED beyond what we could bear. Beautifully written article.

16. Leonard

I found the same verse in Matthew when going through my own challenges recently. But I read it differently. He does not say that he is going to take OUR yoke, he says to take HIS yoke. When I apply this to myself, it means I need to raise my perspective to the same one he had; what was his mission? What was he worried about from day to day? Why are we here in the first place? I find it is like looking up at the night sky on a clear night, away from the city, where the stars stretch on forever in all directions, giving the perspective of how small we really are in the grand scheme of things. Suddenly, whatever had consumed my mind previously seems equally small, and the value and purpose of my spirit seems magnificently more grand. His yoke was easy and His burden was light. Not because he was stronger, or else he would not have suggested that his was lighter than ours. It was because he understood our role and purpose here on earth. He understood that we burden ourselves with things that are comparatively insignificant. He also was well acquainted with grief and sorrow; a lighter burden does not a happier trail make. However, because he loves us and does not want us to feel like we must travel the road alone, he has invited us to share the yoke with him, which, if you consider the metaphor, means we walk side by side, step for step, with Him! I have rediscovered as an adult, the power of asking the question, “What would Jesus do?” I am remaking the habit of asking myself that question many times per day. As I do that, my perspective and my spirits are lifted, I make better choices, and I feel my savior’s love and presence with me as I put my steps in sync with his.

17. Joan Wirtz

Two weeks after my 28 year- old son was killed instantly in a farm accident I texted my sister and asked her where in the scripture it said that God wouldn’t give you anything more than you can handle. She also only could find the 1 Corinthians verse. I came to the same conclusion you did… not applicable as it is talking about temptation. I decided to just trust God would carry me thru even tho I felt like part of my heart was dead. The pain and despair absolutely paralyzes me and so I search the Bible for comfort and I find it. It has been almost six months, and I am still alive. He has provided loving friends and family to provide for my husband and I and our 3 remaining adult children. If I didn’t have the assurance that I will see my son again, I seriously don’t know what I’d do. I also feel the urge to scream, haven’t listened to a radio or read a book, don’t sleep unless medicated, have only just started cooking, work part-time, struggle with flashbacks of the night of the accident, can stare into space endlessly, comfort my kids and grandkids when they cry and are missing our son. The verse that we cling to, and are putting it on my son’s tombstone is Lamentations 3:22-23…” It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning. Great is Thy faithfulness!”

18. Teresa Brenneis-brown

May God continue to carry your burdens and grief. Losing both my parents at a very young age (before I became an adult) was MORE than I could handle. I cannot tell you it will ever go away. I think of them every Birthday, Wedding Anniversary, every Mothers and Fathers Day. There are times you just think of them for no reason, other than you wish they were still with you. I know in my heart they are both with our precious Lord in Heaven, that within itself brings a smile and joy within. And I know one day we will all be reunited in that glorious place. I will pray for you and may the peace of our Lord come upon you. God Bless you sweet lady…

19. Carolyn

I do believe in, If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it. I lost my husband, active duty USAF Lt Col. Lincoln. Was it hard? Yes. Would I ever wish this on anyone? Never! But I made it, I am still “making” it. Every day I go minute by minute alone, without my partner, without my son’s Dad. It is so hard, but every morning I wake up and start another day. God will be with you if you let him every step of the way. I am so sorry for your loss!

20. Joan Wirtz

I am trying to find the picture of Jesus holding the man in front of him that you have pictured on this blog. Where did you find that picture or who is the artist?? Can you please help me?

21. DanelleB

Thank you for your inspired words. I found and read this just over a month ago….A few days before my father passed away from a very long battle with cancer. It have me strength then and again tonight as I saw it and re-read it.
    I honestly don’t know how I would have made it through caring for him nights and days without my Savior and my Father in Heaven. I was given a priesthood blessing and was told Thank you for taking care of my son, and was blessed with the strength to do what needed to be done.
    Thank you again.

22. Loretta

It’s not God who is doing bad things to us. It is Satan! He is trying to destroy everyone’s faith in God!

23. Phil Steinacker

I have previously seen similar objections to this famous line posed by several folks, in particular a Protestant minister (sorry, I don’t recall his faith tradition) who seemed rather angry in drwing the conclusion that God does indeed give you more than you can handle. I came two years late to his post, and by then he had accumulated nearly 3,ooo comments. Of the few I could take time to read, most were appreciative that he confirmed their own conclusions that that line was simply wrong.

By the end of his rant, though, he was o better lff than when he began because he still didn’t get it like yuo do.

However, there is a simple way to correctly understand why the claim the God doesn’t give you more than you can handle is a true statement. Don’t worry, I did acknowledge that you get it; I only want to demonstrate a shorthand way of expressing it which simply builds upon the original sentence while adding a small but significan qualifier.

God doesn’t give you any more than you can handle so long as you trust in Him completely by turning everything over to Him, rather than taking it all on by yourself.

The truth is, you CAN handle anything thrown at you, so long as you never let go of Him. On your own, not so much :-).

As you can imagine, there are a variety of other similar qualifiers you can add here which will also work so long as our Lord is recognized as the One Who makes it all work.

I much prefer this approach for several reasons:

1. For the purpose of evangelization, it is so much easier to correctly qualify the existing popular phrase rather than seeking to discredit and replace it. THAT is a tough road to take because initial resistence will make it time consuming.

Another disadvantage to refuting rather than building upon it is that it will force some folks to contend with the seeming loss of a very confidence-inspiring, if not fully understood saying from which they’ve taken much comfort. It’s not necessary for them to go there.

2. Adding an appropriate qualifier meets people where they are. Where’s that? It is a too common tendency to try managing our struggles by ourselves, keeping the Lord apart from it except when we pray. It is predictable that as people are hearing/reading the saying under discussion, it initially will appeal to that same human tendency to maintain autonomy over our lives. When they encounter the qualifier as part of the entire idea, though, it explains the complete thought by linking the two: our part, which is to go through the challenges before us trusting in Him, and God’s part, which is to be entrusted by us with the soveriegnty to get us through it.

Augustine is famous for many wise writings. One which applies here is: Pray as if everything depends on God. Work as if everything depends upon you.

In other words, turn it all over to Him and proceed to struggle through whatever is before you. You stil face overwhelming odds, but He will see you through it if you only trust in Him.

So, yes, God most assuredly DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANYMORE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE – SO LONG AS YOU MAKE ROOM FOR HIM TO LIFT YOU UP.

It’s a package deal.

but if you simply qualify the original statement along the lines of what I just did,

24. Rylen

I’ve been saying this for years and thought it was nonsense, if he didn’t give us more than we could handle there wouldn’t be drug addicts, people dying from illness, extreme depression etc I’m glad someone spoke on it. It’s very clear more than we can handle is given to us often

25. Jo Londa Iamhis Moore

I Corinthians 10:13 – No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. NIV

26. Heather Engisch

I thought it was in the Bible ,: He will make a table to bear up underneath them ….(temptations)

27. Michelle Battistini

Beautifully said. It made me weep.. As we watch our friends struggle with the burden of illness I have done all the things you said.. I can’t count the number of times I’ve sang hat hymn in mass and never connected the two thoughts. Thank you..

28. online

They make utilization of relevant skills and creativity to include fresh and accurate information for making this article interesting and informative. If you do not know how to write down the title or description, you can hire a SEO company to assist you to.

29. Frank

This is just one persons opinion so my intent is not to offend anyone here. I came from zero religious background. I will leave my story out except to say that I had an experience that changed me. And after that I had a small glimpse into something different. Anyway, basically it’s like this, all religions point to the same thing but none of them have nailed it. They are right, but also wrong. Here’s the bottom line… These things in your life are there because you chose them. Yep. You chose this life and every one of these incredibly difficult experiences. Because you are to grow from them. So that your soul, energy, vibration, spirit, whatever term you like, progresses forward. That’s why the events in our lives are so difficult because you wanted to experience that level of difficulty. Your experiences are different than mine and his and hers or theirs. Each life experience is unique. Your energy doesn’t die (see Einstein) it is timeless. Your soul (life energy) is timeless because when you leave here there is no time. There is no beginning and no end. When you hear that phrase about how much you can bear, remember that you chose the experience and there is something in it that you are to learn from. Maybe it’s Buddhas understanding of detachment from people, places, things or thoughts. Your lesson is in the very center of that difficulty if you’re courageous enough to sit there in that pain and just be there with it. It will come to you, I promise. Remember there is no judgement when you leave here. There is no right or wrong, it is simply your unique life experience. So, the phrase about bearing a difficulty is true, but it is us who puts this difficulty on us. The kicker is that we are all God, we all have the God vibration energy flowing through us, so technically God won’t give you – or you won’t give yourself more than you can bear because you chose it before it happened, before you came into this life – remember, this is just my personal opinion. Hope I at least provided an alternative perspective here.

• Marilyn

The experiences that happened to me were not by my choosing , I did not choose for my daughter to die of a rare brain cancer at 12 yrs old, I did not choose to have cancer when my baby’s were 2 months old and 4 yrs old. I did not choose for my home to burn down to the ground. I did not choose to have my mom dying of ovarian cancer, then the same day she was put in the hospital for chemotherapy , I got a call my husband was being flown in from Trinidad on a sky ambulance dying from a strange illness, he was brought to the same hospital as my mom was in, it turned out he was suffering from testicular cancer and lymphoma . One week passed and hurricane Katrena hit us. I had to evacuate with my mom & children and had to leave my husband in the hospital he was too ill to be moved! This is just the tip of the iceberg of the things I have suffered , believe me! God does give us more then we can Handle, but with my faith in God….I made it! I am alive and braised my storms knowing he was with me every minute! God is my strength! Jesus is my friend, he loves me! This I choose!

• Valarie

May the living Savior wrap you in His Loving Arms !!!

30. Casey Heislers

As a 17 year old girl, I’ve been through more than the average girls and guys my age. Long story short…My sister passed away at 4 years old from a complex conjenital heart defect. When this happened I was not born yet but my parents always wanted two kids, so as a friend for my big brother Matt who was 3 years old at the time my sister died, they decided to have me! Growing up with Matt as a big brother was great, he was overly protective and loved to make me laugh. A week ago my big brother was in a house fire up at his house on the campus of The University of North Dakota. He was in the medical ICU for three days until the doctors announced him legally dead. I never thought I’d be an only child and this post was exactly what I needed to read. Thank you and God bless

31. majesticpublishers

My Mom was in the Emergency Room from attempting suicide. A Health Care Worker came in and told my Mom she was a Christian, and the Lord would never give us more than we can bear. My Mom sat up in her despair and said, “People always quote that Bible verse wrong. It doesn’t say God won’t give us more than we can bear but that We won’t be TEMPTED above what we are able to bear.” The woman realized my Mom was right and said, “You know your Bible. You’re a wise woman.” Love this article, glad someone else realized what my Mom and I always knew. We CAN’T bear it alone, but God CAN! Amen! Cherie

32. primrose

Thank you Jesus for healing my father last month was the hardest month of my life but by trusting and having Faith in. God eeverything becomes lighter he is a faithful God he is alive he is our redeemer he is yeshua Jehovah he lives today tomorrow and for ever he is alive. Lets trust in him make him your key. Of your life. Amen

33. Shelley

Thank you for the time it took to research this and write it in such a beautiful way. I too have struggled with my own heavy load just as we all do. I had a friend tell me this once and I thought she was crazy because I had always been told the “other” way by caring people with good intentions too. I had never been able to find it in the scriptures either. While knowing this fact doesn’t make me feel any better, it gives me a little more understanding about why we were given the most precious gift of a Savior. Isn’t it amazing how much He truly loves us and how He can bless our lives continuously if we will just believe and trust Him. May God continue to bless you in your healing process.

34. silvia

Hola muy informativo el blog
    La verdad que es una enfermedad que resulta muy complicada te tratar pero como todo la psoriasis hay que llevarla de lo mejor manera posible y sobre todo evitar el extres.
    Un saludo

35. John

what do you say to the person, who has already lost much and is still losing…the burden is not getting lighter…..it’s getting worse, with no relief in sight? I was my mother’s caregiver for 7 years. A job I loved and knew GOD was blessing my through. She was 88 when, without warning, she passed away, Aug 1st, 2013.. I was so sure she would live to be in her 90′s. and I had at least a few more years of caring for her. With her passing, I’m now out looking for work…caring for her was my job….I’m draining what I have left from my savings, to get by…7 months of looking for work and nothing. Part of it because of my age. 60…but also part because of my years of not having a job…I was doing what GOD wanted me to now….and now it’s counted against me in employment. I’m now looking at the real possibility of losing my home in another year….and that scares me. I am astounded GOD would in one moment remove his blessing….and yet not open any other path. I am very frustrated, there seems to be no end in sight….and the GOD I trusted in, has yet to relieve it.

• John

I need to explain…many times GOD does give you support, through your spouse and children. How many times I’ve talked to friends, going through hard times and heard them say….if it wasn’t for my spouse and kids….I could not have handled this. yes, GOD did support you, with those around you. I’ve never been married, no kids…really no one to talk to while going through this. I have stepped out in faith, went to a church grief support group. When I was sharing about my fear of losing my home…one man actually said….”john, this is the road GOD has you on, and you just have to accept it…now I work with the homeless….”…I was stunned……here is a supposed Christian man, telling me, GOD’s plan was for me to be homeless……to everyone….please, when someone is hurting….think before you say anything. See things through their eyes and not your own. That takes listening awhile, asking questions…getting information…knowing something of the back ground. Maybe someone can write an article on that…how to respond and not respond to those in grief.